Thursday, October 6, 2011

Temples

Choice #5 (sections 95:8-17):

I have the chance to share what I learned in my Doctrine and Covenants class again with you all. This week we read Doctrine and Covenants 91-95. In section 95 there is a lot of talk about the temple and so I have talked a little bit on temple work and the importance it plays in our lives. I hope you all enjoy reading what I learned, and what I know to be true.

What reasons did the Lord give for asking the Saints to build a Temple? How does the Temple fulfill those purposes?

    The Lord tells the Saints to build temples to see how much they are willing to sacrifice. Building temples back then was not easy at all and the saints had to have a lot of faith to build the temple. I think that the Lord also wanted a way to communicate with the saints and having a temple is one of the best ways that members can become closer to the Lord. It also gave a way to have the temple ordinances back on the earth again. Having the saints build a temple gave them the chance to be sealed and start doing temple work for themselves and the loved ones that had passed away. The saints would also be given the chance to have their endowments taken out.

How does the Temple bless your life?

    Being able to attend the temple makes my life a lot clearer. I feel like I know what I am doing is the right thing. Also when I am stressed going to the temple can help me relax and realize that everything will work out. I seem to find more time when I go. Being sealed to my parents also makes the temple more important to me; I know that through the temple ordinances all people can be blessed with being sealed to their families.

What opposition do you face in getting to the Temple; what things do you put before it?

    Being in college I tend to put my homework or other fun things before going to the temple. I say I don't have enough time or when I say I will go it seems that I always run into conflicting things. I know that this is Satan trying to get me to not go and make me think that it would just be easier if I didn't go. Lots of times I have noticed that getting someone to go with you makes going to the temple a lot easier. Having that support system helps.

How can you make the Temple more of a priority and center of your life?

    Setting aside a time every week that I know is my temple time can help me make the temple a more important part of my life. The lady I work for is paralyzed and it is hard for the workers to get her ready to go places, but every Wednesday we work hard for her to go to the temple. She is a big example of how regular temple going can help your attitude. Having MS she never complains about the situation she is in or anything. When I ask her how she can stay so positive she always says that when she doesn't make it to the temple she can feel a difference in her life. She gets more discouraged and often notices she gets frustrated with her condition. Her example helps me want to make temple going part of my life. I can see the difference it makes in her life I can only imagine the difference it can make in mine. I am going to start going weekly with my other two roommates that go. Having online classes and being in charge of my work hours I can arrange my schedule to where I know I can always have time to go. Also I will pray for help that I may be able to make it to the temple weekly.

I know that temple attendance is an important part of keeping our faith strong and becoming closer to Heavenly Father. My mom travels two hours every week to go to the temple, this makes me realize that if she can spare a whole day to go to the temple then I can spare two hours of my time and make it to the temple. I am thankful for the examples I have in my life and for the testimonies I hear about how temple attendance can put new light into one's life. I know we are given temples to help us.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment