Monday, November 28, 2011

Choice #3 (sections 127:4-9; 128): During a time of duress, the Prophet wrote the Saints and taught them the importance of record keeping. Review the relevant verses in Sections 127 and 128, including the corresponding passages in the student manual and then answer the following questions: • Why do you think proper record keeping is so important? o As members of the church we do a lot of work and without keeping good records we have the chance of repeating some of the work. We can save time by having good records, and with the time we saved we can do more work. Also keeping good records allows future generations to learn about past generations. • What particular Temple ordinance does Joseph Smith want to be properly recorded? o Baptisms for the Dead • How does proper record keeping connect (“bind” or “seal”) heaven and earth? o I believe that record keeping connects with what we bind and seal on heaven and earth because as we do the ordinances here on earth we are also doing them in heaven. And so when we record here on earth we are also recording in heaven. • What records are being kept on earth? What records are being kept in heaven? o Baby blessings, baptisms, priesthood confirmations, patriarchal blessing, marriage certificate, sealing certificate, death certificate, birth certificate, and many more o Getting your endowments out, marriage, sealing’s, blessings • What records are kept that binds or seals you to others, either living or dead? o Marriage, sealing’s, temple work for others, family trees, name and blessing as a baby, and the patriarchal blessing. • What other places can you think of in the scriptures where the Lord’s people are admonished to keep proper records? o There are many other places in the scriptures where people are commanded to keep good records. The entire Book of Mormon is here on earth because of the good record keeping of the authors. When Nephi was commanded to go and get the plates, he was told the plates were needed for record keeping. • What, if any, application do you see for the records you personally keep? o I love looking back through my old journals and seeing what I wrote at certain times of my life. I can learn and grow from it. I have also learned to cherish the journals left by my grandma I have been able to grow closer to her as a person. I want the same for the future generations. Also writing helps I put things in my life into perspective so I can figure out where to go. Writing about both the good and bad has allowed me to be thankful for the blessings I have seen because of experiences I have lived in. • How can these scriptures help you improve your own efforts? o I look at the scriptures and realize that I should be writing a lot more than just what is happening in my life. I should try to put in spiritual insights and my testimony so I can help strengthen others. The scriptures tell us what is happening at a certain time and they are completely focused on God. I can try to do the same for my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment