Thursday, November 3, 2011

"I invite the Latter-day Saints to look to the temple of the Lord as the great symbol of your membership. Let us be a temple-attending people.” (Howard W. Hunter, Nov. '94, p. 7)

This week in our religion class we are reading Doctrine and Covenants 109 and 110. These two sections are about the temple. Section 109 a dedication prayer of Kirtland, Ohio temple and section 110 tells about the visions that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery saw while in the temple and the keys that were restored there. These are very powerful sections and one can learn a lot from reading these sections. As I was reading them I learned a lot about the temple. Some things I learned are:

  • The temple and our homes are supposed to be a "house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order a house of god." 109:7.
  • We may be able to feel the Lords power when we go into the house. Vs. 13 so it must be a house of glory and holiness for us to feel the spirit.
  • No unclean thing can enter the temple. Vs. 20. But there is always repentance so one can make it back into the temple when they have gone astray
  • There should be reference in His house. Vs. 21
  • Vs. 22 "Thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that they name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angles have charge over them."

I really liked this last verse, I never thought about being armed with the Lords power when we went to the temple. And having angles watching over us, that is an amazing thought. This section makes the wonderful spiritual high feeling I feel after going to the temple make sense. I am going to make it a goal to go to the temple every week so I will be armed with his power and be watched over with angles. That and I want to help the others who have passed before me receive the temple ordinances they weren't able to obtain themselves while there were here. It amazes me how wonderful of a thought this is. I love helping people and that is exactly what we are doing when we go to the temple. Also at the same time I am getting blessing for doing it. Is there any kind of service that is better than that? I think not.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment